Thursday, January 10, 2008

How I managed to get my Visa 3 days before I left for South Africa.


I have my visa.

Such a simple sentence, four little words. Yet I have not been able to utter the words above truthfully until today, January 10th, 3 days before my flight to South Africa.
This is my story.

I filled out the application, compiled the needed documents, and carefully put my passport in the package to the South African Consulate General in New York City. I sent it as certified mail. No more than two days later I received a phone call. It was the consulate. Four more documents were needed. I obtained them and then dutifully sent them out in the first week of December. I naively thought I would have my Visa by christmas. I was sorely mistaken.
After a week, I sent an email to the consulate general asking for confirmation that the other documents had been received. I waited.
In the next two weeks leading up to Christmas I got one email from the consulate that had one line in it. It said "when did you send them?" There was no salutation or other form of greeting.
By this time I began to get nervous but Christmas distracted me for a couple days. Finally after much calling and angst I find out the other documents had never arrived. They were lost in the mail or perhaps taken by some evil mail gnome. I will probably never know.
I now had to fax all the documents to the consulate.
No problem right? I had copies of all the documents, piece of cake right?

Oh wait.

In my excitement to get the paperwork in I had not made a copy of my criminal record. The only way to get your own personal CORI in Massachsetts is to write a 25 dollar check to a government agency, send in a notarized application and wait two weeks. Oops.
I re-sent an application in on the 27th of December, faxed in the stuff I did have, and waited.

The CORI took forever and actually did not arrive until today. However God had a plan.

Two things happened this week of great fortune.
My mom came up with the greatest bit of advice ever. She remembered my job this fall had requested my CORI, maybe I could get a copy from them. I called them up and indeed I could. I faxed it and all was well with the world, or so I thought.

The other thing that happened was a rep from Thrive emailed me asking if I needed help with my Visa, the consulate had told her I was calling them, trying to get confirmations and such. I discussed things with her and she assured me she would try what she could and that the staff would be praying about it. I felt much better after talking with her.

I spent most of yesterday calling the consulate trying to see if they had my CORI/Criminal record. Finally in late afternoon I get an annoyed official on the phone saying I did not fax it to their specific number. I have to explain myself three times but I finally say I'll fax it in the next 30 minutes. I run out to my car and head towards a place where I can fax the document. I do and when I get home I have an email from my Thrive rep saying the consulate had told her I had everything in and my Visa would arrive on time. PRAISE THE LORD!!

It came via overnight mail this afternoon. I have never been happier to hold a document in my hands except perhaps my college diploma.

I cannot thank all my supporters enough for your prayers. They were heard!
Now that I can stop worrying about being able to go and finally get to some serious packing I am incredibly pumped to be finally going to Africa.
My next entry will be from Africa (as well as much shorter I hope)!

Thanks and God Bless!

No comments: