Tuesday, January 15, 2008

My first hours in South Africa

Written 1-14-08
I am in Africa.
Once again these are four simple words but their truth is beyond surreal for me. Many people go on mission trips and know the little about the country they cram into their minds in the months beforehand. When they arrive for their experience everything is exotic and by the time they start to really learn about the place, their week or month is up and they go home.
For me Africa is different.
I have had an interest in Africa since at least middle school and perhaps beforehand when I discovered I was quite good with geography, especially world Countries and capitals.
Once I started High school I was inclined to go for what I thought of as the “non-white” history classes. These included Contemporary World Cultures and a year of African studies when I was a junior. While in college my major was technically European history, I was one class short of an Africana studies minor and took a number of anthropology classes as well.
I have read a great deal about Africa. I know extensively the ins and outs of the Rwandan Genocide Tragedy in 1994. A book about the colonial history of what is today the Democratic Republic of the Congo is one of my favorites. I read Nelson Mandela’s autobiography this fall and know a good deal of the fascinatingly unique history of South Africa.
This book knowledge has made the few hours I have already spent here filled with meaning. Today on the way home from the airport, my friend and I drove through Rivonia. This was the district where Mandela was sentenced to life in prison in the 1960s. Unbelievable.
As you may have guessed I have survived my 15-hour flight. It was long but I got a little sleep and watched three movies. Having no one next to me was great as well.
Thank you all for your prayers. I am so happy I am here. This is a highpoint of my life already and I have done little more than drive through the city of Johannesburg.
Till my next entry, Blessings.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

WOW- so great Matt!!! SO excited for you and proud of you:) Cant wait to read more!!!