Thursday, February 21, 2008

What am I actually doing here?

So my apologies for having no blog entries in over a week. I got a 24-hour bug this past Monday and while it was fairly miserable I think it's pretty much gone from my system now. To make up for it, by Saturday I hope to have my newsletter out and an additional blog entry to this one. Enjoy.

I made the title of this entry much more provocative then it will actually be but hopefully even more people will be enticed to read it now.

So what is my day-to-day like here? Am I just climbing mountains, running over beautiful terrain, and learning that a Lechwe is actually an animal and has absolutely nothing to do with milk?

Fortunately this is not the case.

Here's what a typical week looks like for me right now.


Monday mornings we either have a big staff meeting from 8-10 or classes till lunch around noonish. After lunch we usually have behind the scenes work which entails helping out in a specific department of the ministry here. I'm in the Launchpad department with a specific focus on outreach. When we host missions teams I will be making sure they have everything in their cabins that they need. Right now I'm doing a lot of binding, collating and data entry for various classes and curriculum that Thrive has. Its a good learning experience doing a lot of office work.

Tuesday we have intern devotions from 8:30 to 9:30 as a team which is nice. The rest of the day for me involves behind-the-scenes work, no classes. Oh, we also finish everyday at 5PM so I have time to run before dinner at 6:30 which is nice.

Wednesday we have corporate prayer with the staff, then classes till Lunch. After lunch I go into Qwa Qwa with my fellow intern Kaylen and we teach a LaunchPad class. Teaching is not the easiest but it is very satisfying. We have a good group of High school age students who are eager to learn about God and the Bible.

Thursday we have team devotions and then classes till lunch. After lunch we go into Harrismith. This is a fun time where we get to enjoy the town which is pretty nice. We also buy anything we need and go to the local supermarket called Spar. We cook all our own meals on the weekends as well as make our own breakfasts. It has been interesting and somewhat fun planning and helping cook for 10 people. Thursday night we have our church service with staff. We do some singing and then usually Niel (co founder and director of Thrive) preaches.

Friday we have classes all morning but after that we get to go to Hope House in the afternoon where we just have a blast with the kids. Tons of fun.

Weekends are mostly free to do our homework and sleep in, besides the occasional outing which is fun. We do not have church on sunday mornings because after a week of waking up before 8am and going till it gets dark having the two days to sleep in are pretty essential for us all. Not the most traditional but it works well for the staff and us here.

So thats what I'm doing here. A great mix of classes/learning, ministry and work.
Thank you so much for your support and prayers. They mean the world to me.

Stay tuned for the newsletter and blessings.

No comments: