Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Behind-the-scenes or on the frontlines?

This morning I started binding thousands of curricula with 5 other interns. At first glance this is obvious behind-the-scenes work for the ministry. I see no people, I talk to nobody except the other interns and I'm in the office close to 8 hours a day sitting in a chair. But I refuse to accept the premise that the work I'm doing for the next three weeks is behind-the-scenes. Here's why.

The books we are binding are Leadership Summit curricula, specifically the Save Sex book. This curriculum teaches young people in Qwa qwa about Love, Sex and Relationships. It tells them how to save sex for marriage and Biblical perspectives on the issues. It is full-color, interactive, and effective in effecting the lives of youth. In America how to teach young people about sex can be controversial, but here it is a bit simpler. Leadership Summit is already teaching in 6 or 7 schools in Qwa qwa and is making an impact. Teen pregnancy rates have dropped drastically in many of the schools where Leadership Summit has been taught for the past few years.

Every time I bind a book I'm giving a high school student a chance to learn how to make choices that will change their life. Every time I bind a book I'm helping a young person avoid AIDS. Every time I bind a book I am not behind-the-scenes, I am on the front lines of the battle to help change the continent for the better. God has priviledged me with this work. Far be it from me to say that God was wrong in putting this task before me.

Here's to an Africa that is not just a stereotype, an Africa where people are strong, healthy, Godly and completely sold out to Jesus Christ.

Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

matt, this was so well-written! and it amazingly captures your servants' heart... you've got your heart and mind in the right place on this project. and you know what? you're absolutely right!

maybe we should change BTS to FL?!