Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I saw Animals.

So I finally did it. I went on safari in Africa. It is trendy for mission teams to have a day off to do touristy things and Thrive sets up a one night, 2 game drive trip to a game reserve north of Jo-berg that is pretty sweet. Thrive trip just went and we got to join them.

I saw rhinos (uber cool), elephants, (took a long time to find them but cool), lions (not so cool because they hid in grass far away), african buffalo (funny because of the way the baby got milk from its mom), giraffes (cool), and many other cool animals.

One funny anecdote from the trip was there is a morning gamedrive at 630AM. We got up at 5:30 and since there was a coffee maker I had some coffee (Matt, the other intern with me had some tea) at 5:45 our game driver showed up with more hot water and tea so Matt and I had yet another hot beverage. We then hopped on a game drive landrover for the next 3 hours. For a while it was ok but by the last hour Matt and I were more than a bit uncomfortable. When we saw animals we didn't just get excited we almost let it go right in the car!

Needless to say, when we got back to the lodge we jumped out and booked it to the nearest urinal. I won't describe what happened in the bathroom but lets just say it was a nigh spiritual experience.

Oh did I mention the buffets? They are amazing. We had a dinner and a breakfast one and both were superb. If you have the means I highly recommend an African safari.

So now its back to work but it was a delightful 2 day mini-break. Peace

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I just caught up on your blog. You rock! We'll have to have a "family night" this week and we can all catch up on the happenings of July...

btw, I saw your faces when you jumped off the safari truck and booked it to the bathrooms...lol, I don't think you were eggagerating in your blog post...

Kaylen said...

'nigh spiritual experience'?

I can't believe I high-fived you for that..

all sarcasm aside, I completely concur about the safari and buffet. amazing.