Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Worshipping Jesu Kreste

So I know this entry should be about LaunchPad but great things are happening so bear with me as the blog catches up to my life this week.

This weekend we had the amazing opportunity to go to Passion Johannesburg. Passion is a conference series that Louie Giglio and his Christian movement 268 generation started that is currently on a 17-stop world tour. So basically this was a one-in-a lifetime opportunity. Very briefly, these guys are about doing conferences to get university students around the globe. Louie gave some some amazing talks and we worshiped with 6,000 others in a giant room with Chris Tomlin and the band Fee. Pretty intense.

I want to talk about worship briefly. As most of you know I am not uber-spiritual and that affects my worship. I am very laid-back compared to most people when I worship. I rarely lift my arms, I don't like jumping, and dancing is not much my style either. I like a fast paced song as much as anyone, but I really like just quietly standing and absorbing the words of a good hymn. Be thou my vision is a personal favorite.

As you can imagine this conference was not that kind of worship. It was 6,000 mostly young, mostly crazy, young South African people wigging out for Jesus. And at first it was hard to get into it. I often feel like I need to get into a super spiritual state to enjoy worship. I over think it and get distracted and suddenly I'm just standing there saying words.

Hardly worship.

But yesterday I managed to in some small way let that go. Louie said a verse from Corinthians about being out of your mind for Jesus and thats what I had to do. I had to stop thinking. I had to stop thinking about the people around me. I had to stop trying to get spiritual and just shut my eyes and sing the words as loud as I possibly could. And soon the tears flowed.
I can't tell you if the tears came from God or if I'm just a weepy emotional person when worship happens, but frankly I don't care. I had stopped thinking and had started worshiping God.


I worshiped God.





HOLLA!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

matt, this was the best thing i've read in a long time. i am beaming, just thinking of how much more God is going to do in and through you now that you've opened yourself up to Him in that new way. don't lose that, ok?