Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A bit about some verses I like

The past week has been different because ideas for blogs have been lacking. I wrote 8 entries in August but only one so far in September. I'm not less busy and lots of cool stuff is happening, I just haven't had the inspiration. This one will be about a verse I like.

Being here and impacting the people through teaching and evangelism it's easy to forget that a huge part of this year is my own spiritual growth. Let me assure you; I have grown A LOT this year spiritually, emotionally and relationally. Recently I was led to some really amazing verses in Romans that I want to share. I hope they bless you like they have for me.

Romans 1:1-4

Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle and set apart for the gospel of God—the gospel he promised beforehand through his prophets in the Holy Scriptures regarding his Son, who as to his human nature was a descendant of David, and who through the Spirit of holiness was declared with power to be the Son of God by his resurrection from the dead: Jesus Christ our Lord.



It's really easy to skip the greeting part of the epistles in the New Testament. I glance at them and forget them all the time. But I looked at these a few days ago and was blown away.
For my money there is probably no better passage in the Bible that summarizes Christianity besides John 3:16 than this one. It simply covers everything.

Paul was called for the gospel. What is the gospel? It's what the the prophets (ie the Old Testament) promised. What did they promises? They promised a messiah, that is, God's Son. Who was God's son? His son was Jesus Christ. What was Jesus' nature? He was a descendant of David, that is, he was human. He was also the Son of God through the spirit of Holiness (I believe that means the Holy Spirit). How did he prove he was both God and man? He conquered death through the resurrection.
What is the result?

Jesus Christ is the Lord, the one true God who deserves nothing less than our unending love, devotion and adoration.


Christianity spelled out in 4 verses. Its not complicated or even hard. It's the ultimate truth that is at the center of our existence.

My prayer is that you, Christian or not, would embrace this truth today.

No comments: