Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Thabang and Hope House


So finally on my birthday my Hope House entry.

Thabang is the baby I have sort of developed a relationship with this year at the orphanage I visit every week. While we do a lot of stuff each week with teaching a lesson, reading stories, and leading crafts and games, we also do a lot of just loving the kids.
Out of 40 kids there are 4 babies including Thabang. With the babies, we hold them, play with them, and even a few times we got to feed them via a bottle which is fun. For whatever reason Thabang, a chubby, overactive, semi-asian baby took a liking to me. He is generally the one I gravitate to each week and he is always looking for me in order to be picked up.
That is the best part of being here for a year. You build a relationship with the people you meet. Every week I can say to the Hope House kids, "You be good, I'll see you next week." And I can expect Thabang to crawl across the room to come see me when I arrive at the orphanage.
But the best benefit is seeing Thabang literally grow up. He turned one this past spring and at that point he got around mainly through a ridiculous crawl motion that was part Rambo, and part I don't know how to crawl. About 2 months ago Thabang started to walk. A few weeks ago I pick him up and waved at him and he responds by saying bye bye. Pretty cool stuff.

At the end of the day isn't he just the cutest little baby you ever saw?

1 comment:

Kaylen said...

PEIRCE'S BABY!

he's such a fatty. cute, but laaarge.