Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Botswana Part 3 (Church & Daisy)

Written 3-31-08

Yesterday we got a welcome respite from our work for half a day and we got to go to the church in Maun that LBOM started. While we did not go to the actual service we ending up doing something just as rewarding, we helped with the children's ministry.
All kids from preschool-grade 5 meet separately from the adults. After some singing and talking they split into age groups to do different stations. I volunteered to be at the teaching station w/ Daisy, an awesome older lady who superbly translated for me as I read the story of the Ascension.
After teaching, the kids went to play games and I ended up chatting more with Daisy. She was a fantastic woman who just loved the kids and would randomly pray for the youth as we taught and chatted.
She told me about her life and how God had brought her from South Africa to Maun. She then asked me about my testimony and I told her about my life and how I got to Botswana. Half way through my story Daisy stopped me and showed me her arm, "Look" she said, "Goose pimples." It was at this moment that I realized how extraordinary our conversation was and how God had brought us together for that very moment.
Daisy had such joy and it just poured over into me. Near the end of the chat as I was telling her about my family she put her hand on my shoulder and prayed for me. Her kindness and spirit struck right through me. Her 6 year old granddaughter came over at one point after this and I ended up praying that her parents would come to church.
It was such a pleasure to meet Daisy and it was a great privilege to teach and bless the kids here. God is truly working here across the ocean and I can only stand back in awe.

No comments: