Saturday, October 4, 2008

Harrismith Mountain Race


This morning I took part in the Harrismith Mountain Race. I had been thinking about running this race since arriving here and to finally do it was very cool.

The race was 15k (9.3 miles). It starts in town and stays flat but than you literally climb up (almost 2000 ft. elevation gain) the mountain, run along the flat top for about a mile or so and then run down the mountain and return to where you started.

My goal was 90 minutes which I barely missed, running about 97 minutes and 30 seconds.
I stayed fairly in control the whole time, the distance was just far and the climb required too much walking.
Overall this really was a once in-a-lifetime opportunity and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I have to give props to the Thrive staff and Kaylen who cheered me on awesomely before and at the end of the race. Also props go to Shannon, Crystal, and Katie T. who decided to run the race on a whim and did so very successfully.

I'm pretty tired at the moment but very happy that I finished well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

whohoo! you rock, dude. i'm so excited that it went well for you! you did awesome. next year, i'll actually finish...

Kaylen said...

that race was more amusing than anything else.. I'll never forget that oddly dressed, super strange looking man. congrats!