Monday, October 13, 2008

In Durban

Hi everyone.

I just got back from a long weekend in Durban, one of South Africa's major cities. On the Indian Ocean about 3 hours from Harrismith, it is a pretty amazing city. With a large population of Indian and Muslim people, the diversity is striking wherever you go.

On Thursday we were treated by Neil and Alece to a day at Ushaka Marine World, a pretty cool water park. It wasn't huge but the slides were lots of fun. I also got to swim in the Indian Ocean for the first time in my life.

The main reason we were there though is for the Global Leadership Summit, a Global conference hosted by the Willow Creek Association. Willow Creek is a megachurch in Chicago but it broadcasts the conference to many locations around the world including 3-4 in South Africa. The conference was in a very nice Family Church which was in view of the ocean. We got to hear 8 talks from esteemed Church pastors and leaders including Bill Hybels. The major focus was leadership and I learned a great deal. Conferences always have a way of supremely motivating you to get your act together and do great things. Now my trick is to put the many things I learned into action. The two-day conference was really great to experience by all accounts.

On Sunday we headed home but before we did that we got to hang out at a humongous mall in Durban. It had an arcade, small bowling alley, a multiplex, food court, IMAX theater, and tons of stores. I did not buy too much but I did catch a movie and enjoy myself immensely.

Thrive Africa treats us well here. I am very thankful for all Neil and Alece and the staff do for us. Taking us on this weekend is just the tip of the iceberg of the many ways they support us. It will not be easy to go home come the end of November.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dude.

Whohoo for the first comment on your post. Okay, I'm lame and get excited about stuff like that.

Oh...and you're it. check out my blog for the instructions :)

Anonymous said...

thanks, peirce... we're gonna miss you around here.